It is essential that when we are providing transport for young people we do it safely and competently – their lives are valuable! We also have a great opportunity to be modelling safe driving practices to young drivers.
Here’s an example transport permission slip that you could use for your next youth event: AYM-Transport-guidelines
Some suggestions of guidelines for safe driving:
- Drivers must hold a full NZ driver’s license, be 20 years or older, and have had their full license for 2 years or more.
- Drivers must adhere to the NZ road code.
- Drivers must take full responsibility for their own actions.
- Vehicles must have a current warrant and registration.
- Drivers must be free from the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Be clear beforehand about who will cover the excess of an insurance policy if there is an accident in a borrowed vehicle.
- Passengers under the age of 18 must have written consent forms signed by their parent/guardian.
- All accidents, near misses, or reckless driving must be reported to the event coordinator immediately. This includes, but is not limited to, speeding, fast cornering and tailgating.
- All passengers must wear seatbelts.
- There should not be one driver and one young person alone in a car, especially if they are of the opposite sex.