Holy Trinity’s new hall

Bishop Ross cuts the ribbon to open the new Holy Trinity hall, which is connected to the existing church by a corridor.

Church begins new chapter
Holy Trinity Otahuhu began a new chapter in the church's long history when they opened a new community hall at the end of September.

The development is designed to make church facilities more accessible to the local community for a range of uses and events. Plans for the future include a drop-in centre, a youth space, advocacy services and a base for Mothers’ Union and AAW groups. The carpark surrounding the hall has also been upgraded and includes a basketball hoop and court.

The hall replaces two old buildings behind the church that had reached the end of their life. Church land in the block between Great South Road and Mason Road was sold to fund the development, and construction started late last year, after nine years of preparation.

Holy Trinity shares its church buildings with an Auckland Tongan congregation, Ofa Ki He Laumalie Ma’oni’oni. The new hall strengthens this partnership, bringing all the groups who used the previous buildings together under one roof.

The opening on 29 September was a joyful celebration of cultural diversity, attended by members of the two congregations plus guests from the Niuean, Samoan, Māori and Indian communities, and others. After a service of Holy Communion, the hall was blessed by Bishop Ross Bay. Prayers were offered in several languages, followed by songs, speeches, exchanges of gifts, and a shared feast with a roast pig contributed by the Tongan congregation.

Holy Trinity was the second Anglican church in the district. The original building was erected in 1863 and consecrated in 1866. In 1927 it was moved to Mangere East to make way for the current brick church, which was opened and dedicated on 14 Oct 1928, almost exactly 91 years ago.

Gifts were exchanged during the blessing ceremony. On the table is a cake to mark the 50th anniversary of the Association of Anglican Women (AAW), which also occurred in September.