The Archive / Te Whare Kahurangi is a gateway to some of New Zealand’s oldest colonial treasures, some of which predate the Treaty of Waitangi.
The collection is a collaborative venture of the Anglican Diocese of Auckland and Te Pīhopatanga o te Tai Tokerau which preserves and manages Anglican documents, collateral and multimedia from 1815 to the present day. A research facility is available to the public by appointment.
Some of our treasures are:
Our mission is to maintain records for the Anglican Diocese of Auckland and to provide services to the diocesan Administrative Services team, contributing parishes, and church organisations.
We also welcome genealogical and historical research and try to respond to research enquiries within 5-15 working days. Timeframe for delivery depends on the complexity and size of the request.
The Archives of the Diocese of Auckland are currently managed by the John Kinder Theological Library, Anglican Church in Aotearoa New Zealand and Polynesia Te Hāhi Mihinare ki Aotearoa ki Niu Tīreni, ki Ngā Moutere o te Moana nui a Kiwa.
For enquiries or to make an appointment, please contact:
Phone: (09) 528 3950
Access to some church registers is available on Pūtake https://putake.recollect.co.nz/
Physical address: Cathedral precinct (see map).
Postal address: PO Box 37 242, Parnell, Auckland 1151
Delivery address: 12 St Stephen’s Avenue, Parnell, Auckland 1052